Having a pet admitted to hospital is a stressful and often distressing experience for owners. The hospital has been set up to minimise the impact of separation from your loved family member. Just like human hospitals however, we need to insist on some restrictions regarding communication and visiting so that the hospital staff can do their jobs effectively and concentrate on getting your pet home, where they belong.
The main contact person
To allow us to have the time to give all owners a detailed daily report and to ensure a consistent communication, we ask you to please nominate a family member to be the main contact person. This person can then communicate with the rest of the family.
Morning communication 7am – 9am
- During this time, the hospital vet and nurse will review all in-patients and the hospital vet will call all the nominated contact people with their daily update reports.
- This time is when we will discuss your pet's progress and the day's treatment plan. We will also routinely inform you of the current account total.
- On Sundays and Public holidays, incoming phone calls are not switched on until 9am. The hospital vet will still call you with an update report between 7 and 9am.
During the day
- Additional phone inquiries are usually taken by your hospital nurse. We remind owners that communication will be limited to the nominated contact person.
At the end of the hospital shift
- The hospital shift finishes between 2pm and 3pm. By this time a treatment plan will be set for your pet, which is overseen by the evening nurses.
- To keep communication consistent, we encourage all queries about your pets treatment plan to be directed only to your hospital vet and nurse.
Your hospital vet & nurses roster
Weekdays (Mon – Fri)
- From Monday to Friday you will have the same vet and nurse looking after your pet. The same vet will call you every morning.
Saturdays, Sundays & Public Holidays
- On Saturday a new vet will continue the treatment plan left by your hospital vet. The same nurse will continue from the week.
- On Sunday a different vet will be responsible for both the hospital and consulting clinic. They are also responsible for emergency consultations during the day.
The visiting hours are very broad and largely reflect the times we are open. There are several periods during the day where we ask visitors to leave in order to allow the hospital staff to care for your pet.
Please note we may also need to limit visiting to allow other owners to grieve privately. We thank you for your understanding.
Please limit groups to no more then three people at a time. The hospital environment is not an ideal environment for young children. Children will need to be supervised at all times.